The McPherson Gem and Mineral Club welcomes all who enjoy the beauty of the earth and the geologic wonders it holds. Members range in age from the youngest Pebble Pups to Rockhounds 80+ and all ages in between.
We enjoy fun and informative meetings that include the following:
- Interesting programs about all things geology related.
- Rock of the Month (RotM) presentations about fascinating rocks, minerals, fossils, and geologic locations around the world and beyond.
- Presentations by our Junior members.
- Door prize drawings for our members and guests.
- A silent auction with fun and unique specimens offered.
- Refreshments and fellowship.
Additionally, we take fieldtrips as often as we can schedule them to collecting locations around Kansas and sometimes to out of state sites as well. During the months that weather makes outside collecting difficult, we may take an indoor trip to see museum exhibits or a member’s collection.
Service is another facet of our club’s mission and several members are engaged in helping 4-H, Scouts, and schools with geology projects. We are also involved in setting up displays in the public library, county courthouse, and local museum to promote our hobby.
Our biggest endeavor is our annual MGMC Rock Swap held every May where dealers come from all over the country to buy, sell, and trade rocks, minerals, fossils, and jewelry.
If all of this sound like it would be fun to you then we welcome you to attend one of our meetings and become a member of the MGMC. Check out our membership page to find out how.